All credit unions are listed by state and in alphabetical order. In order to be listed in our directory the credit union must have an African American designation. Click on the state to view the full list available. If the credit union has a website you can click on the name and go directly to their website.
There are 318 African American designated credit unions with assets totaling approximately $5.8 billion in assets or approximately 0.51 percent of African America’s $1.1 trillion in buying power. African American credit unions have a total of 863 670 members.
- African American credit unions comprise 49.6 percent of Minority Serving credit unions and 5.2 percent of all US credit unions
- The total assets for all US minority credit unions is $36.4 billion, with AACUs controlling 16.2 percent of those assets. Total combined assets for all US credit unions are $1.2 trillion, with AACUs controlling 0.48 percent of total American credit union assets.
- AACUs average assets: $18.4 million ($17.9 million)
- AACUs average number of members 2 725 (2 688)
- AACUs median assets: $1.4 million ($1.4 million)
- AACUs median members: 505 (491)
- For comparison, Asian American credit unions have approximately 362 000 members and $4.6 billion in assets. Average and median assets of $83.1 million and $30.0 million, respectively.
African American Owned Credit Unions by State: