HBCU Money™ presents the Top 20 ranked African Diaspora colleges and universities. The rankings are based on the world rankings from Webometrics, an initiative of the Cybermetrics Lab, a research group belonging to the Consejo Superior de Investigaciones Científicas (CSIC), the largest public research body in Spain.
- 9 of the 20 colleges and universities come from South Africa.
- African American colleges & universities come in second with 4 of the 20 colleges and universities present on the list.
- No African Diaspora colleges or universities are present in the top 100 in Webometrics’ world rankings.
Below are the objective and methodology per the Webometrics website:
Objective: The original aim of the Ranking was to promote Web publication. Supporting Open Access initiatives, electronic access to scientific publications and to other academic material are our primary targets. However web indicators are very useful for ranking purposes too as they are not based on number of visits or page design but on the global performance and visibility of the universities.
Methodology: The Webometrics is the largest academic ranking of Higher Education Institutions. Since 2004 and every six months an independent, objective, free, open scientific exercise is performed by the Cybermetrics Lab (Spanish National Research Council, CSIC) for the providing reliable, multidimensional, updated and useful information about the performance of universities from all over the world based on their web presence and impact.
COLLEGE/UNIVERSITY – WORLD RANK – COUNTRY
- University of Kwazulu Natal – 381 – South Africa
- University of Cape Town – 391 – South Africa
- Stellenbosch University – 462 – South Africa
- Makerere University – 696 – Uganda
- University of the Witwatersrand – 719 – South Africa
- University of Pretoria – 746 – South Africa
- Howard University – 753 – United States
- University of the Western Cape – 834 – South Africa
- Obafemi Awolowo University – 1113 – Nigeria
- Rhodes University – 1191 – South Africa
- Cairo University – 1206 – Egypt
- University of Dar Es Salaam – 1419 – Tanzania
- Norfolk State University – 1531 – United States
- University of South Africa – 1545 – South Africa
- Florida A&M University – 1557 – United States
- American University in Cairo – 1574 – Egypt
- Hampton University – 1581 – United States
- University of Nairobi – 1624 – Kenya
- Mansoura University – 1699 – Egypt
- University of Johannesburg – 1749 – South Africa