All credit unions are listed by state and in alphabetical order. In order to be listed in our directory the credit union must have an African American designation. Click on the state to view the full list available. If the credit union has a website you can click on the name and go directly to their website.
There are 334 African American designated credit unions with assets totaling approximately $5.6 billion in assets or approximately 0.51 percent of African America’s $1.1 trillion in buying power. African American credit unions have a total of 847 752 members.
- African American credit unions comprise 49.9 percent of Minority Serving credit unions and 5.2 percent of all US credit unions
- The total assets for all US minority credit unions is $37 billion, with AACUs controlling 15.1 percent of those assets. Total combined assets for all US credit unions are $1.1 trillion, with AACUs controlling 0.51 percent of total American credit union assets.
- AACUs average assets: $16.8 million (2014 – $13.1 million)
- AACUs average number of members 2 538 (2014 – 2 455)
- AACUs median assets: $1.4 million (2014 – $1.64 million)
- AACUs median members: 474 (2014 – 585)
- For comparison, Asian American credit unions have approximately 360 000 members and $4.5 billion in assets. Average and median assets of $83.1 million and $32.3 million, respectively.
- Religious affiliated credit union make up 5.6 percent of US credit unions. African American religious affiliated credit unions comprise approximately one-third of all African American credit unions and almost one-fourth of all US religious affiliated credit unions.