How to Succeed in Commercial Real Estate is a comprehensive, practical book for those considering entering the field of commercial real estate, those just beginning in the business, as well as experienced brokers and sales managers who want to evaluate and strengthen their current strategies—especially those related to listings, negotiations, contracts, and sales.
The author provides a straightforward overview of the business of selling commercial property, including coverage of the four main specialty areas –retail, office, industrial, and investment—as well as crossovers and emerging specialties. Rather than pumping a “get rich quick” approach to selling, the author shows brokers that they don’t have to sacrifice integrity and ethics to remain competitive and deal oriented. The book includes detailed coverage of
• Choosing a company and a specialty that’s a good fit for you.
• Sales strategies and sales points specific to commercial real estate, including practical suggestions for countering other brokers.
• The importance of focusing on exclusive listings, how to find and get the best prospects, and the most effective strategies for marketing the property.
• Standard parts and points of negotiation for contracts and forms, including earnest money agreements, leases, options, listings, counter offers, and fee schedules.
• Rent and how it is calculated and quoted, including triple net, modified net, gross, and full service leases.
• Technical knowledge including agency, law, appraisal, taxation, zoning, surveys, environmental investigations, investment analysis, risk comparison, exchanges, financing, and property management.
•The pros and cons of going independent and how to decide if it’s the right move for you.
Written in an engaging, straight-talk style, the author shares a wealth of other practical knowledge reaped from 30 years in the business.